The 25th and 49th Battalions first briefly linked between July 1930 and October 1934.
The 25th Battalion, an Army Reserve unit and the 49th Battalion, then a Ready Reserve unit linked at the end of the Ready Reserve scheme on 1 Jul 1997 to form the 25th/49th Battalion, The Royal Queensland Regiment.
Between 1997 and 2005 the 25th/49th Battalion was an integrated (full time and part time members) motorised infantry battalion with a full time Rifle Company based in Brisbane and three part time rifle companies located in Brisbane and on the Darling Downs.
In 2006 the Battalion ceased to be an integrated unit and was re-raised as an Active Reserve unit in accordance with the Hardened Networked Army initiative.
Battalion Headquarters are currently located at Sanananda Lines, Enoggera and depots are maintained in Toowoomba, Warwick, Stanthorpe, Dalby, Roma, Gatton, Wondai and Southport.
Since the linking of the units, 25th /49th Battalion has deployed unit members to the following operations; OP ANODE, OP ASTUTE, OP RELEX, OP CALALYST, OP SUMATRA ASSIST, OP SLIPPER, OP RESOLUTE, OP MAZURKA, OP CITADEL , OP TANAGER and RIFLE COMPANY BUTTERWORTH.
The linked battalion maintains the history, traditions, associations, affiliations, battle honours and Colours of the two Battalions.