13th Field Squadron provides the combat engineering capability of the Western Australia based Reserve 13th Brigade.
13th Field Squadron can trace their origins to the 7th Field Company which was formed in 1907. In 1909 it was renamed the 4th Field Company and then changed again to the 6th Field Company in 1910, and finally the 13th Field Company on the 1st of July 1912.
The unit's first major operation was constructing a suspension bridge over the Helena River at Guildford in Western Australia.
Due to its status as an element of the Volunteer Army, the Company was not eligible to deploy during the First World War; however, 100 of its personnel were attached to the First Australian Imperial Force (AIF) and served at Gallipoli with the 2nd Field Company and in Palestine and France with the 6th Field Company.
During the Second World War, the Company served in Darwin in March 1943 before being re-deployed to New Britain in October 1944, where its major assignment was the construction of a 10,000 ton jetty.
The unit was disbanded for a short period in 1946 but re-raised as the 13th Field Squadron, Citizens Military Force (the precursor to the Army Reserve) in 1948. It adopted the mascot of a 'little red devil' in the early 1960s, and was made part of the 13th Brigade on the 1st of February 1988.
The 13th Field Squadron is structured with two combat engineer troops, a training troop and a support troop.
• 1st Troop (Combat Engineers Troop)
• 2nd Troop (Training Troop)
• 3rd Troop (Combat Engineers Troop)
• Support Troop (Includes trades people, plant operators and drivers)
The Squadron's primary role is to provide combat engineering support to the 13th Brigade.