Researching Army history and family member service

Before beginning a search, family members should assemble as much evidence as possible. The full name, date of birth, and service number of the person is ideal.

The service number should appear on any military paperwork. The service number, first initials and surname should be stamped on the rim of any medals awarded to the member, including service medals.


Personal files for the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF), Korea and all other conflicts since 1953 are held by Defence. These can be requested through the Service records page on the Defence website. Information about medal entitlements is available from Defence Honours and awards.

Other information sources include: