Skip to main content Skip to search input


Defence housing supplied by Defence Housing Australia
The Army provides subsidised accommodation for its full time soldiers. When a soldier is assigned a new posting, the Army meets the costs of moving personal possessions, within certain limits. Further information on accommodation through Defence Housing Australia and removals through Toll Transitions are provided below to assist soldiers and their families.

Defence Housing Australia

Defence Housing Australia (DHA) provides housing and related services for Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and their families. 

The DHA staff will support you throughout your tenancy and can help you with a range of property management services including finding and securing a new DHA property, maintenance and inspections. DHA also administers Rent Allowance for members living in private rental properties. 

To help make DHA accessible to ADF members, they offer a range of online services. In DHA Online Services, you can update your details and advise of changes to your circumstances. You can view the range of DHA Service Residences available in your new posting location and track any maintenance on your property, or details relating to inspections.

It also offers services for members receiving Rent Allowance, including the ability to apply, vary, or cease your Rent Allowance online - you can even calculate any change to your Rent Allowance with an online Rent Allowance calculator.

DHA has Housing Management Centres and offices located in cities and regional centres around Australia to support the ADF. 

Contact DHA on 139 DHA (139 342) or visit Defence Housing Australia for more information.


Toll Transitions

Toll Transitions has been appointed by the Department of Defence to provide Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and families with a total relocation service. Toll Transitions offers a range of services to help you to move to your new posting, or in the event that a change in personal circumstances requires relocation. 

A Toll Transitions Case Manager will assist you with organising all your relocation requirements, including:

  • Arranging your removal and storage
  • Booking your travel and temporary accommodation
  • Calculating and arranging payments/reimbursement of your relocation allowance and entitlements

Read more about Toll Transitions.

Last updated
7 December 2016
Army: Courage. Initiative. Respect. Teamwork.
Back to top