Skip to main content Skip to search input

Home assessment

Housing assessments determine the requirements for modifications and/or equipment in the home environment in order to ensure safety and accessibility for the member.

Housing assessments are conducted by experienced Rehabilitation Consultants (also know within Defence as Program Case Managers) with qualifications in Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy.

Activities of Daily Living Assessment

This assessment is to identify the member's functional ability to perform activities of daily living independently and safely such as basic personal care and domestic tasks.

Activities of Daily Living (ADL) Assessments are conducted by experienced Rehabilitation Consultants with qualifications in Occupational Therapy.

The Rehabilitation Consultant will conduct an assessment to determine the level and type of assistance the person requires in order to live as independently as possible.

The member may be asked to demonstrate certain activities to further determine what barriers exist.

A written report with recommendations is to be distributed by the Rehabilitation Consultant to the member, Medical Officer and the Department of Veterans' Affairs (if applicable).

Procedures for Supply of Aids and Appliances

The Australian Defence Force Rehabilitation Program (ADFRP) will consider funding clinically justified aids and appliances as a final option when the Department of Veterans' Affairs and Area Health Service cannot fund the items.

Once the need is identified through the member's rehabilitation assessment, the process in determining which agency will consider funding the items is as follows:

Step 1 - In the first instance, where a member has a compensable injury or illness, the Department of Veterans' Affairs is to be approached to pay for the items in a timely fashion, under the accepted compensation claim; or
Step 2 - If the injury / illness is non-compensable or not covered by the compensation claim, then Area Health Service will be approached to determine if they will approve payment for the specific items under the member's clinical treatment plan; or
Step 3 - If steps 1 and 2 were unsuccessful, the ADFRP will consider paying where a member has a demonstrated clinical requirement as identified through the appropriate assessment as part of their Rehabilitation Program.

Housing modifications

The Rehabilitation Consultant will engage with an occupational therapist to identify any housing modification. The consultant will also contact the Directorate of Relocations and Housing (DRH) and advise the requirement. DRH will then give the direction for the works to be undertaken to the regional Defence Housing Australia Housing Management Centre (DHA HMC) and the Defence Regional Housing Manager (DRHM).

Some housing modifications / acquisition assistance may require the discretion of the Chief of Defence Force (CDF).

There are two ways in which a member can request assistance:

a. Where the member is the instigator they will inform Defence Housing Australia (DHA) of their requirement. In this instance the member requesting assistance must provide supporting evidence of the requirement. This may include a social worker, medical or occupational therapist's report, in addition to confirmation of employment term remaining.
b. Where the member has an ADFRP ADL / Home Assessment Report identifying a request for housing modifications or relocation.

If housing modifications are needed DHA will obtain quotes in accordance with procurement guidelines for the works and submit to DRH for approval.

Assistance under this instruction is not an entitlement. Each application for assistance is assessed on its merits and on a case by case basis.

If there is no justification for housing modifications, the member is responsible for all structural works undertaken, unless otherwise approved by the CDF.

In accordance with PACMAN, when assessing the suitability of a Service Residence, DHA should take into account any factor relevant to a member's accommodation requirement.

Improved housing assistance for injured members

From 1 February 2011 additional housing and removals assistance will be available to injured Defence Force Personnel who require a live-in carer to aid their rehabilitation.

Prior to 1 February 2011, the need for a live-in carer was not recognised and no provisions were made to assist personnel with housing to include a live-in carer. Defence has taken pro-active steps to change that.

The new policy has been introduced to allow members without dependants who need a live-in carer greater access to Defence residences or additional rent allowance to accommodate the carer and their rehabilitation needs.

This will provide assistance to members who need a live-in carer, either on a short term or long term basis with domestic tasks, personal hygiene, mobility and feeding and to provide ongoing medical care.

In addition, members who need to move to a new home or location to assist in their rehabilitation can also be provided with a Commonwealth funded removal. Removals assistance may be provided for a live-in carer on a case-by-case basis.

Members who have dependants may also access housing with an additional bedroom to accommodate a live-in carer.

Further information is available at PACMAN

Last updated
8 December 2016
Army: Courage. Initiative. Respect. Teamwork.
Back to top