Army Indigenous Strategy
The Army Indigenous Strategy (AIS) was first released in November 2008, and reflects Army’s commitment to the whole of government approach to closing the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. Army is fully committed to improving Indigenous participation rates as part of Army’s broader plan to enhance Army capability.
The current AIS is an Annex to the Army Diversity and Inclusion Framework 2016-2020 that was released in September 2016. The AIS aligns with the three key elements of the Defence Reconciliation Action Plan (D-RAP) (hyperlink to public copy): relationships, respect and opportunities.
To achieve the AIS outcomes Army supports:
- Indigenous pathways program which include the:
- Army Indigenous Development Program (AIDP) - a 5 month program for those that do not currently meet the General Entry standards and need to develop education, aptitude, fitness and resilience skills before commencing recruit training
- Indigenous Pre Recruit Program (IPRP) - – a 6 week program for those who meet General Entry standards but need to develop confidence, resilience and fitness standards before commencing recruit training
- Eight Indigenous recruiting officers at Defence Force Recruiting (DFR) to mentor and support Indigenous candidates;
- Two Indigenous mentors at Kapooka to support Indigenous recruits complete recruit training;
- A Regional Indigenous Liaison Officer (RILO) Network to focus on community engagement and provide support to local commanders; and
- The Army Indigenous Cultural Advisory Board (AICAB) which provides cultural advice to Chief of Army on the implementation of the Army Indigenous Strategy.
20 November 2019Australian Army and Queensland Police Service recognised for efforts during Townsville floods 30 September 2019Retired Army Banner laid up at Kapooka 25 September 2019Delivering the next generation of network assurance for the Australian Army 12 September 2019Friendships formed during Australian military skills competition 11 September 2019Dropping in the right direction