Our values & contract
Army’s cultural and ethical foundation is its values and the bonds of trust and respect between each and every person who joins in service to our nation.
These core values form the bedrock of everything we do:
- Service: The selflessness of character to place the security and interests of our nation and its people ahead of my own.
- Courage: The strength of character to say and do the right thing, always, especially in the face of adversity.
- Respect: The humanity of character to value others and treat them with dignity.
- Integrity: The consistency of character to align my thoughts, words and actions to do what is right.
- Excellence: The willingness of character to strive each day to be the best I can be, both professionally and personally.
To read more about Our contract with Australia, visit the Good Soldiering page.
Army has a solemn obligation to our nation. Our contract with Australia:
I'm an Australian soldier who is an expert in close combat
I am physically and mentally tough
compassionate and courageous
I lead by example, I strive to take the initiative
I am committed to learning and working for the team
I believe in trust, loyalty and respect
for my Country, my mates and the Army
the Rising Sun is my badge of honour
I am an Australian Soldier – always.