4 Bde was originally formed in September 1914 for service during World War One; elements of the brigade served at Gallipoli and in the trenches on the Western Front before being disbanded in 1919.
In 1921, the brigade was re-raised as a unit of Australia's part-time military forces, based in the state of Victoria. During World War II the brigade served in the New Guinea and New Britain campaigns.
Following the war, the brigade formed part of the 3rd Division, however, it was later reallocated to the 2nd Division, where it now serves as a Reserve combined-arms formation including units and personnel from all corps of the Army including armoured, infantry, artillery, engineers, signals and ordnance.
The 4th Brigade currently consists of the following units:
• 4th/19th Prince of Wales' Light Horse
• 22nd Engineer Regiment
• 108th Signals Squadron
• 5th/6th Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment
• 8th/7th Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment
• Melbourne University Regiment; and
• 4th Combat Service Support Battalion.
The brigade has contributed personnel to deployments in Iraq, Afghanistan, East Timor and the Solomon Islands. It also continues to support Australia's commitment to Rifle Company Butterworth.
Within Australia, the brigade's Reserve Response Force was deployed to provide assistance to the civil community during the 2009 Victorian bushfires and the 2011 floods.
Currently, the 4th Brigade is headquartered at Simpson Barracks in Melbourne. It consists of about 2,000 personnel, who are based in a number of locations in Melbourne and regional Victoria.
August 2014 marked 100 years since the commencement of the First World War. Across the globe, the Anzac Centenary (2014 – 2018) will be marked by millions of people, in places of special importance and in ways personally meaningful to them.
In Victoria, local communities will have the opportunity to plan their own commemorations and to share in the stories of those who served. For more information click here.