Australian Army Band Perth
Australian Army Band Perth is based at Irwin Barracks, Karrakatta. This distinguished group maintains a high standard of performance at official and public performances in the state through participation in military ceremonies and parades, Regal, Vice Regal, Federal, State and Territory Government ceremonial functions, music education programs, concerts and community activities.
The band was formed in 1949 as a brass band, called the Western Command Band and was converted to a concert band in 1972. 1992 was a landmark year where the band received its current title and was awarded Freedom of Entry to the City. Another major change occurred in 1993 where the military band was transformed from a full time regular Army band to an army reserve band.
The pipes and drums were formed in 1936 as part of the Sixteenth Battalion Cameron Highlanders of Western Australia. This association continued through several battalion name changes until 1969 when the band's name was changed to the Western Command Pipes and Drums. Then in 1974 they were re-named the Fifth Field Force Group Pipes and Drums and in 1980 the Fifth Military District Pipes and Drums. The band was named the Army Reserves Pipes and Drums Perth on the 1st July 1992. In 1999 the name changed to the Australian Army Pipes and Drums Perth and now both military and pipe bands are now known as the Australian Army Band Perth.
The bands two major capabilities are the military band and the pipes and drums, and are able to provide support with small ensembles, a rock band, big band, buglers and pipers.
Requests for support can be directed to aabp.enquiries [at] defence.gov.au or (08) 9269 4470.
25 June 2019International Students Graduate from Australian Army’s Royal Military College 13 June 2019Call for submissions for Army Innovation Day 2019 9 May 2019Combined arms at full effect 8 May 2019Special Operations Command hosts Indo-Pacific partners 23 April 2019Statement regarding death of Army Soldier at Kapooka